So, you want to start a blog huh? Great idea! As little as I can recall, the best career choice I’ve ever made is to learn how to start a blog in Nigeria and am glad that you are about doing the same.
There are too many info out there on the web, telling you this and that about starting a blog.
But for the fact that you continued searching and landed here shows that you aren’t satisfied with the information provided on other blogs, maybe because their guides are so confusing or full of grammar that gets whole issues complicated.
Just forget about them I got you covered.
My Little Blogging Story..
Way back in 2016 when I launched my first blog, I was a newbie in fact I knew less than nothing about blogging.
I was searching for how to make money online, and I came across a popular Ponzi scheme in Nigeria called MMM.
MMM is a money pyramid scheme, which exists at the expense of investors.
How does MMM works?
Here you purchase a virtual currency called Mavro from a member of the MMM community, over the course of one month, your Mavro will increase by 30% and you sell it to another participant and make profit.
For example, you invested ₦10,000 in exchange of Mavro, After one month, your Mavro will increase by 30%, you sell them to another member of the system and get back ₦13,000. That’s sounds good right?
After sometimes MMM crashed and held so many Nigerians to ransome which am a victim to the incident.
I went into research for other ways to make money money online in Nigeria , Infact this time around am more interested in legit and long lasting ways of making money online in Nigeria.
On my quest for a greener pasture, I met a friend who gave me an overview of what blogging is all about and how I can make money from it.
Then I decided to start my own blog, guess what, I failed woefully and do you know why?
I was very impatient, I was only MONEY oriented without providing valuable contents for my readers. After sometimes I felt like this blogging of a thing doesn’t worth the money and I quit.
Luckily for me I came across Mathew Woodward income report, which motivated my spirit and with little more research I discovered the cause of my previous failure.
I learnt from my previous mistakes, and now I can boast of so many things when it comes to starting a blog
You don’t need to be a tech savvy to start a blog in Nigeria because am not one.
You don’t need to know how to code or design a website to build your own blog me too I still don’t know how to.
This is my plans for you… I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I made that nearly ruin my blogging career, I started this blog, applying all the things I learnt these past years.
The guides in this post are step-by-step instructions with Do It Yourself (DIY) easy-to-follow screenshots that will light your path toward launching a new blog in Nigeria and actually profit from it.
For you to start a profitable blog in Nigeria 2020, I have further categorized this guide into eight distinct sections to light your path through the process of launching a new blog in less than an hour.
Choose A Domain Name
Choosing a domain name is similar to choosing a business name and it is one of the most important thing you can do for your website, In addition your domain name will communicate important information to both human visitors and search engine bots.
Incase you don’t know what a domain is, a domain name is your identity on the web for e.g my domain name is mackiestdon.com so make sure you choose the right domain name.
The first step to finding a good domain name is choosing your topic. If you’re not sure what to blog about, there are a few ways to find a good blog topic:
- Hobbies & passions. Hobbies or other interests you are passionate about are a great place to start. Cooking, travel, fashion, sports, and cars are all classic examples. But even blogs about more obscure hobbies can be successful, since the your audience is literally anyone in the world with the internet.
- Life experiences. Everyone has lessons they have learned through life experience. Sharing this knowledge can be incredibly helpful to others in similar situations.
- A personal blog. A personal blog is a blog all about you. This will include a variety of topics, from things you do on a daily basis, to random thoughts and musings. This is a great way to share you thoughts with the world without having to stick to just one topic.
Once you find a good topic for yourself, choose a good domain name that suites. Try to incorporate some of the keyword related to your blog topic in your domain name.
Again you can use your name as a your domain as I did and still focus it on a particular topic.
Take note of these few things while choosing a domain name:
- Choose an easy to remember domain name.
- Choose an easy to pronounce domain name
- Make sure your domain name is from the range of 6-12 characters
- Do not include special characters such as @#$%
- Go with the popular domain extension such as (.com, .net, .org) and so on.
Once you come up with an idea on what your website will answer, you can go ahead and search it below to know if it’s still available.
If the domain name you wanted has already been taken, there are a few things you can do:
- Try a different domain extension. If the .com version is already registered you may still be able to get the .net or .org version of your blog name.
- Add small words. Words like “a”, “my”, or “the”. For example, themackiestdon.com or mymackiestdon.com
Setup A Web Hosting Account With Free Domain
We have completed the domain name search quest, I believe at this point you suppose to have your domain name ready.
Now that you have gotten a domain name we will go ahead and host your domain online, I know this will sound somehow awkward but don’t worry I got you covered; I provide you with a step by step procedure to make the whole journey a successful one.Warren Buffett once said, if you don’t find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die. Blogging is one of the few ways to make money even while you sleep. Learn How To Start A Blog An Make Money From It In… Click To Tweet
What Is A Web Hosting?
A web host is a company that stores all your blog file, keep it online and make it accessible to user when they search your website name or domain name. getting a web hosting is a must do aspect of these whole blogging setup.
For your blog to be up and running, there are two main thing required and they are domain name which we have gotten and hosting plan which we will discuss here and these are the only two things that requires your money while starting a blog.
There are thousands of webs hosting companies today but out of these companies are few selected ones that are performing well and are recommended.
Many cheap hosts overload their servers which means your blog will be slow, which means updating it will take longer and it will take longer for your visitors to load it.
The hosting company I recommend for beginners is Bluehost. Here are my reasons and what you are to benefit.
- Free Domain name
- Free SSL certificate
- 99.9% Server Uptime
- 24/7/365 Customer Support.
- 30 days Money-Back Guarantee.
So to get started with purchasing domain name and web hosting plan we have to head straight to Bluehost.com. From the homepage click on “Get Started”.
Next step is to choose a hosting plan.
Putting into consideration the kind of website you are about to setup which is a blog, the basic plan is very much okay for you when getting started. If there is need for a higher plan in future you can still upgrade but for now I recommend the basic plan.
After choosing a hosting plan, next step is to select a domain name for your blog.
You will be presented with two box in front of you, the first box demands you to choose a new domain which is free while the second one allows you to add an already existing domain you have with another registrar.
I recommend you choose a new domain name which is at no additional cost to you, free stuffs always feels good.
Therefore input into the text-box the domsin name we have chosen earlier.
Once tou are done with this steps above then you will be required to enter your details to create an account with BlueHost.
Fill in the form your correct details.
Your account plan ranges from 24 months, 36 months and 60 months subscription, you can choose from any of them depending on your budget.
It is advisable to uncheck all the boxes to avoid additional charges.
The next step is to fill in your payment details, you can pay with any of the payment method available on the site. Check the terms and conditions box and submit.
If you have gotten to this stage, you are now a satified blogger, If you get your domain name from Bluehost you’ll receive a mail notification asking you to confirm or verify your domain name. If you don’t, your domain name might get canceled.
Now let’s tidy up some things together by moving to the next step.
Install WordPress As Your Bloggging Platform
For complete newbies, the whole process of picking a blogging platform could be confusing with so many choices out there. A blogging platform is a type of software or service that helps us create a blog without having any programming knowledge or web development skills.
WordPress is the go-to platform for bloggers. Why? Because WordPress is a free software this means it does not require any payment to use this online software.
With WordPress you can also create any kind of website.
Why You should Create Your Blog With WordPress
- User Friendly
- It is a free software for everyone.
- WordPress is Easy to Customize with free Themes and Plugins.
- It is easy to manage.
- It is SEO friendly.
Reasons Why You Should Not Start a Blog On A Free Platform
A free blogging platform is a website that allow you to register with them, get a free domain name, setup a blog without spending a dine.
However, if you want to start a blog, become a famous author and make a stack of money from it, Then we have to do things the right way so as to increase your potential success as a blogger.
- No Custom Domain Name – If you are using free blogging platform, you are going to have an ugly looking domain name in the form of http://yourname.wordpress.com or http://yourname.blogspot.com.
- Poor Customization – A free platform alternative only grants you access to a handful of themes and functions, which will only result in less engagement and more users leaving eventually.
- Limited Monetization – Using a free blogging platform you will be provided with a limited number of bandwith, memory space for videos and images, and as well your ads displaying option is limited.
- Loss Of Content – The company feels you are violating the terms of service agreement, they can simply delete your site with no warning.
If you have the ambition to start a successful blog in 2020, then you must pick solid foundation. According to our survey, 90 percent of pro bloggers recommends and use for their blogs WordPress.org content management system (CMS). And we advise you give it a try!
Luckily for you, Bluehost will automatically install WordPress on your domain so you don’t need to worry about that.
Therefore you are required to log in to our bluehost hosting account with the details you created on the checkout stage.
Do make sure your password is very secure.
The next page will notify you of the successful creation of your password.
You can then click the login button to continue.
After you’ve login, Bluehost is going to show you some free WordPress theme you can choose from.
Please ignore it, feel free to skip them by clicking the skip button under the page
At the next page, which is your WordPress dashboard, you going to see a welcome to WordPress with a question asking if you need any help.
Kindly click “I don’t need help” am here to help you
Congratulations if you can see this page, your site is fully setup.
Customize Your WordPress Blog
At this point, you have launched your new WordPress website that’s it is available for the world to see. Therefore we need to customize the new blog to look attractive and professional. So go ahead and click on My Sites > Log in to WordPress
Note: you can log in to your WordPress with (www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin/) from any browser.
Once you’ve login, you will see the welcome page of the admin dashboard. If this is the first time you are using WordPress, at first sight you may feel intimidated by the WordPress dashboard, but with time you will get use to it.
Before we proceed, let me give you a run down of the WordPress admin area:
Now we are familiar with some of the features on your WordPress admin dashboard, let’s go ahead and continue with our customization
Installing A WordPress themes
Now we are going to install a WordPress themes.
Here are points to take note of while choosing a WordPress theme:
- Consider Responsiveness: Make sure that the themes adjust their layout across different screen sizes and devices.
- Strive for Simplicity: Look for a theme that has a design layout that helps you support your goal.
- Speed Optimized: Ensure that the themes loads fast when a visitor comes to your site
- SEO Friendliness: SEO optimized themes helps your site’s performance on search engines.
There are thousand of free WordPress themes you can use, but also bear in mind that support is a very important factor to consider when selecting a theme. Free WordPress themes do not come with guaranteed support and updates.
How To Install A WordPress Themes
To install a WordPress themes, from the WordPress admin dashboard go to Appearance > Themes > Add New
On this page you will see different free WordPress themes, just glance through them to know the one that best suites your need. Hover the mouse on it to get a live preview or install and activate.
After activating the themes, navigate to Appearance > Customize and tweak things like logo,color & fonts easily-
Again if you are looking for a themes that have all the above listed qualities, That will make your blogging journey an awesome one I recommend then you can download my themes here.
Changing Your Blog Permalink Structure
What is a permalink? A permanent link or permalink is the part of a web address that is added after the domain name. For example, check out the URL for this blog post https://mackiestdon.com/how-to-start-a-blog/. The domain name is mackiestdon.com, and the permalink is how-to-start-a-blog.
Making changes to your permalink is a major undertaking when customizing a WordPress blog for the first time, An optimized permalink structure can potentially have an impact on your SEO .
- To change your permalink simply navigate to Settings > Permalinks
- Change it to post name.
Installing The Necessary Plugins
While creating a WordPress blog website, installing WordPress blog themes is quite easy. But, you need to be careful during adding the plugins.
Plugins are a small set of software tools that are used to enhance the functionality of your WordPress site.
You can install many plugins to add additional features to your site without any coding skills.
WordPress literally offers thousands of plugins with different functionalities, including for email marketing, enhancing the SEO of your site.
This can help the website owners as well as the readers to properly navigate through the website. Most plugins are developed for multiple purposes while some are developed only for specific purposes.
You should add only the plugins that are necessary and would help with your blogging journey while starting your blog.
Installing too many Plugins on your website is not advicable because they are bound to slow down your website which in turn affect your blog performance for your visitor and search engines.
In the following list, we have collected a number of best plugins for blogs in WordPress to make sure that the quality of your blogs is an ace. These plugins are tested with their latest features and have been proven to work quite well to enhance the blogs.
Create Essential Pages
Now you are done with customization and all your setting are properly configured, I assume you have a clear idea what your blog will be talking about therefore you will go ahead and create your important pages like.
To create these, go to Pages > Add New. Give your page a good title because that’s what a visitor will first look at before considering to read the content of the page
Then write the content of the page below your page title, It mustn’t be superb at the beginning you can edit it and make changes any time. Don’t forget to publish once you are done
Write Your First Blog Post
You have reached the most interesting part of the whole tutorial on how to start a blog, At this stage you will be writing your first blog post.
Putting together a blog content can be a bit daunting a times.
Firstly you’ll need to learn more about your audience, and what works well for other bloggers in your niche.
And lastly, remember to make it conversational and interesting. If you picked a niche that you care about, remember why you care about it. People want to hear your voice and your take on things.
Once you decide on an article for your blog.
First you have to login to your WordPress admin dashboard (yourdomain.com/wp-admin) then go to Posts > Add new
You will land yourself to a page like the one below
- Title Area: Write a catchy title that will explain the content of the post.
- Image Area: Use a clear image that will add meaning to your post.
- Article Area: Put down your mind and remember to make it interesting and easy to read.
- Publishing: Use the publish button to make your post available for everyone to see.
- Other: Create relevant category for your post or upload a featured image. If you don’t know what tags are then don’t worry about them.
Promote Your Blog/Site
I understand how important it is to promote a blog. I have seen many bloggers quitting and telling others that Blogging is not worth trying. I spend 30% of my time in creating great posts and 70% of my time in promoting them. After all your post is nothing if it doesn’t reach the right audience.
- Subscriber List: Your subscribers are your real followers. They are the ones who are truly benefited from your posts and so they come back.
- Social Media– Social media helps to promote any kind of content no matter if it’s from a blog or and e-commerce website. You need to select 2–3 platforms according to your niche, where you’ll get most of your targeted users.
- Share Your Content On Other Platforms – Use platforms like Medium and LinkedIn Pulse, and add a link back to the original post. You’ll get a chance to promote it to a totally different group of people who might be interested in your content.
- Answer Questions On Quora– Don’t think the Quora is just an answering platform but it’s a lot more than that. Answer relevant questions and give a link back to your website, if you’ve something related to it.
- Guest Posting– Find websites that allows guest posting, exclude the ones who are having less than 30 DA. Now create a post related to your niche and get published, this will allow you to engage with new audiences.
- Blog Commenting– Easiest way to promote a blog. All you need to do is find websites of your niche, pick an article that is related to any of your post and comment with you post’s link. Don’t be jerk about it and just comment to relevant posts only.
- PPC Marketing– The most effective way of Promoting a blog. Use ads from Google, Facebook, LinkedIn or whatever platform you prefer.
And now the most important point- Create great content. Without quality contents, none of the above tips would work.
Monetize Your Blog And Make Money
Affiliate: Affiliate marketing is like refer and earn money. The More you refer, the more you earn. Join that affiliate marketing program which is related to your blog niche, then you will get more clicks that means more income you earn.
Merchandising: Sell your product through you blog like eBooks, Online Shopping Gift Cards or stuffs.
Sponsored Posts: These are apost that a blogger or website owner is paid to publish on their own sites by companies, businesses, and brands related to that site’s niche or topic,
I think these are some popular ways to grow and earn higher for you blog